Through “boots on the ground” experiences, 2 The Rescue provides first responders a clear picture of why their profession can lead to destructive habits and unhealthy lifestyles. We will demonstrate how the inability to manage the cumulative stress from daily exposures to adrenaline and trauma can negatively affect the responder’s safety, decision-making and ability to remain ethically solid.
After attending our Career Survival and Emotional Wellness course, your first responders, their loved ones and work “family” will be armed with tools to manage their everyday stressors. We’ll help them recognize the warning signs for chronic and post-traumatic stress and suicidal behavior. All will leave with realistic, simple and successful methods to help rescue the rescuers! Topics addressed include:
- Understanding “The Lifestyle Change”
- Recognizing the heavy toll
- Assessing the disturbing facts
- Acknowledging career realities
- Managing acute, critical incident and post-traumatic stress
- Understanding the “Terrible 10” Stressors
- Assessing the mindsets of the organization, it responders and their loved ones
- Learning the good, bad and ugly of adrenaline
- Controlling the adrenaline roller coaster
- Differentiating core values vs. situational values
- Staying ethically sound
- Recognizing personal destructive behavior
- Identifying normal vs. abnormal behaviors
- Maintaining the proper priorities to build a healthy resilience
- Identifying physical, emotional and behavioral warning signs
- Recognizing the symptoms of post-traumatic stress
- Becoming aware of suicidal tendencies
- Providing lifestyle management tips
- Learning the “4 Cs of Survival”
- Discovering support keys and phrases for peers and loved ones
- Knowing crisis referral options
- And more
Additional Videos:Career Survival & Emotional Wellness: Eradicating The Destruction
MCOLES – “Career Survival & Emotional Wellness”
Michigan State E911 – “Career Survival: Stress Management & Emotional Wellness”
Michigan Firefighters SMOKE- #Q61A “Career Survival & Emotional Wellness”
WHO’S TRAINING YOU?
Meet 2 The Rescue Co-owner Terry Bykerk
A retired two-time Police Officer Of The Year nominee with more than 25 years in law enforcement, Terry applies over 5,000 hours of experience in the classroom and practical skill instruction to the benefit of emergency responders and others. The holder of multiple certifications relating to law enforcement, precision driving, executive protection and more, he has a unique way of imparting lessons learned from his successes and failures. These are presented not just as “war stories” but as practical advice seminar participants can use every day.
Meet 2 The Rescue Co-owner Mike Wierenga
A 20-plus year veteran in firefighting and law enforcement, Mike is an active-duty training officer for a police department in western Michigan. He has more than 4,500 hours of hands-on and classroom instruction. This former Police Officer Of The Year combines over 300 hours of critical incident stress management training with front-line applications in multiple line-of-duty deaths, officer-involved shootings, suicides and other violent tragedies. His passion for the safety and emotional wellness of emergency responders and their loved ones is easily seen by all in his presentations.